Navinna Raja Maha Viharaya [Maharagama]
This temple was built by King Parakramabahu The 6th in 1418 AD. The subjugation of the maritime provinces by the Portuguese in the latter part of the 17th century and consequent loss of royal patronage, dealt a severe blow to Buddhism. As a result many places of worship were neglected. Navinna Raja Maha Viharaya seems to have fallen on especially hard times, was abandoned and covered by a dense thicket.