Sunetradevi Raja Maha Viharaya [Pepiliyana]
King Parakramabahu the 6th who became the first ruler in the Kotte Kingdom in 1412 established the Sunethradevi Raja Maha Viharaya in the year 1451, in memory of his mother queen Sunethradevi. In ancient times this temple had owned 378 acres of land and it was the controlling centre of both the Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya and Sunethradevi Pirivena (School of novice monks). Though this temple was second only to the Kotte Raja Maha Viharaya those glorious days, what remain today is the constructions done during the early part of the 18th Century. According to historic chronicles, this temple was completely destroyed by the invasion of the Portuguese in the year 1582. The stones and bricks of the buildings were taken away by the invaders to build their offices and churches. To reach Sunethradevi Raja Maha Viharaya turn from the Pepiliyana Junction to Pepiliyana road and proceed a few meters.